Desmond Miles deserves a rant. And god knows I love giving them.
From my observation Des is not liked, least favourite or just plain hated by the general AC fandom. Maybe coz of his least “fighting” role in the whole war or just that well the reality that when Ezio and Altair, both significantly amazing brothers (of the creed, not related) sacrificed their life and energy to the creed. When Des was presented which such an opportunity. He turns away and RAN. That, ladies and gentlemen, HURT. To who ever were immersed into the AC universe… or people that didn’t? Desmond’s… betrayed is still a factor to work on… maybe u didn’t think about it, but when you criticize (to who ever did, not pointing at anyone) Desmond, that fact was probably knocking at the back of your head like “he never liked you, he never wanted this, he hates us, he left us, he is a chicken”.
If you think that way… then I understand you, because I did too. At first when I came across Desmond and his development as a character throughout the saga all I could think of that he was just this annoying cheesy superhero character that is just a bridge of communication and examination of both much greater men such as Altair and Ezio.
Because when he is compared to Altair and Ezio, Desmond doesn’t stand a chance. Ezio devoted the life he had left, to the creed. Altair lived FOR the creed. And Desmond. Hated the creed.
Another thing people say is that his character is. Bland. I used to agree, but now when I look at him again… I regrate ever thinking that.
Also, you can actually find out quite some things about his personality if you pay enough attention:
· He knows what he is doing. He ran away at the age of 16 from an unknown to men (some suggestions to even in the desert) camp somewhere in the USA, where he then proceeded to live a lie. Fake names, cash only. He was probably so paranoid that he had everything on the go. I bet no one knew his actual name for quite a while, I bet he didn’t even HEAR his own name being said for the whole 9 years being undercover. Eventually, he was found… from getting his driving licence. Now a lot of people say he got sloppy and wrote his actual name. REALLY? After nine year, NINE YEARS he would do such an amateur mistake? No, because in the USA when you enter he country or register for an ID of some sort, they need a fingerprint sample to add to the database. So when he got his licence he would have had to put in a fingerprint.
· He does find it important to keep in shape (the strategy guide of the first game describes him as “athletic”).
· He’s probably interested/knowledgably in history filed. Firstly, it’s quite clear the history of the Assassins is not taut at school of Assassin communities since the average Assassin doesn’t know who Altair is, even though he was an Assassin revolutionary. Still, when Shaun says that the Codex got to Italy through “Dante Alighieri via Marco Polo”, Desmond replies surprised and fascinated, saying “no way”. Dante Alighieri isn’t a very known man in history and if the name said nothing to him, it’d make more sense for him to say “what?” or “who’s that?” So yeah, he has a brain between his shoulders, maybe more educated then you think (or Shaun would think)
· Desmond has authority problems and is neither used to nor accepting of being pushed around. He’s not stupid: he clearly knows he’s skating on thin ice at Abstergo, as they make clear they’ll kill him if he resists from the start. Still, he does dare to mouth off at Vidic and even openly mocks him at times, which means he’s not used to taking crap. (Point by LadyVe)
· He’s extreme in both his love and hatred of people/things and holds grudges. Even though he doesn’t really need Lucy later on, he still kind of latches on to her and is quite willing to kick Vidic’s ass for saying shitty stuff to her. Also, when Vidic leaves, he clearly contemplates to still go after him and kill him. But what mostly stands out in this is how coldly he speaks about his own parents, comparing them to prison wardens. It’s quite clear that years later, he still hasn’t forgiven them for they’ve done and doesn’t intend to do so anytime soon. (Point by LadyVe)
So there are some points I gathered from generic knowledge and another rant-er on deviant Art that I really liked and agreed on.
Desmond, unlike Ezio and Altair, goes with logical personal thinking. He values freedom, and even though “Nothing is true, everything is permitted” grands you freedom in Altair and Ezio eyes, Desmond is sharp enough to see it isn’t. Even though assassins fight for justice and freedom, they are still murders… are still a “monarchy” as they all follow one person. The Creed order isn’t perfect, and for a kid at the age of 16 that isn’t easy to… accept. Hell technically if killing others is for the “rather good” I could compare the assassins to terrorist, or even Hitler. All killing in the hope for a “better world”, a “new world”
New world… doesn’t that sound familiar?
So you see the similarities? For Desmond growing up with this “our way of killing is better/more rightful then their way of killing” is confusing… hell it’s scary.
Also, if we count the amount of time Desmond spends running around these “end of the world” occurrences it barley comes to 2 months. About a week in Abstergo going in and out of the animus, then 2 weeks between AC and ACII (still in Abstergo) then about… 3 weeks on the animus with the fellow assassins (in ACB he says “…I’ve only been three –fucking- weeks in that thing) and that’s like only 2/5 through ACB… which is probably just another more week. That’s about 7 weeks in total. To take all that information, that panic, that PAIN (reliving Ezio life while having the illusion of thinking it is of your own? OUCH?) The pressure, the Bleeding, the thought of “holy shit I’m losing my mind” and knowing it. EVERYTHING with in less then 2 months…and still so much more to go.
With all that and he still keeps a (relatively) cheery attitude.
That my friend takes balls.
Thanks for listening to my rant. I do enjoy them
As you can see »
Safety and peace, brothers and sister, Haffy out! <3
Ps: sorry for shit grammer or spelling, my english is crap ;u;